Chess

There is a game we play.
Black and white, as they are.
64 is just a number,
as are cats' nine lives or our one heart.

You are a pawn
if you are first.
Reason out your sacrifice, within.
When someone crosses,
die hard.

Relations are straight.
Go, meet and stay.
When needed we know
You and I become animal, diagonal.
Eat up and carry the leftover.

Escapists wait for two and a half.
When no one is looking,
they jump, at night.
They prey.

You and I are pawns.
Like emotions and trees
we never go back.
I die when he kills.

Or else squares make me a vegetable.


Money is like a rook,
Traverses here to end,
Scaled to be one-dimensional it is.
Then Life castles.
We trade humans for emotions.
Love migrates,
We call it a defense.

Beyond all these,
time excuses itself as we blindly
fit ourselves to those 64 squares.

Win, lose, mutual, checkmate!
Why do we always have a story to tell?


SoUmY@

Comments

Muse said…
Accept my silent appreciation!
Usha Pisharody said…
Aha! Games people play! And, perhaps the metaphor of Chess, as to be apt, for it is the most complex, and nearly as sublime as human life itself! I suppose that is why even JK Rowling wanted to have that in her first edition of HP too!

The vulnerability of the pawn hurts. As does one who takes that first step forward, right?
I actually found myself smiling at the thought of those Knights, jumping those two and a half paces. Escapists. I wonder, though, or do they become those who forsee? I wonder.

"Win, lose, mutual, checkmate!
Why do we always have a story to tell?"

That is the utter simplicity of this tale. And that is why chess is a game that required gumption! Because life is hard enough as it is!!!

Need I say? Brilliant, again!
Pahadi said…
Simply brilliant..!! The way to tried to infuse emotions and characters in the game is just amazing !:)
Aruna said…
Of course we call it a defence. :) Anything that is difficult to bear needs some defence. Love, is probably the most difficult thing to bear sometimes. The absence of it, is more difficult even. The best compliment that I could probably give any of your works, is how they call out to me, sometimes with such ease, that I cannot refuse. :)

Popular Posts